Monday

The GIANT Lantern Parade

HOORAH! I'm writing to you today on a sunny Spring morning in my pretty new flat in Hove. I've finally unpacked and I'm looking forward to gradually exploring my new neighbourhood by the sea!

Last week was the GIANT lantern parade I've been working on for months and it was FANTASTIC! It was the culmination of the engagement element of my public art commission for the new Barratt Home development in Laverstock. The week before the parade, I'd invited Wessex Archaeology and Wildlife Drawing to run workshops both at the school and at Riverbourne Community Farm culminating in beautiful observational drawings (more info here). Same Sky then spent two days at the school helping every pupil to create their own beautiful hand made lanterns (decorated with the drawings created in the previous days workshops) and managed a beautiful procession.

Here are the images from the lantern procession on the 20th March to celebrate the project, the local community and the Spring Equinox. The junior school pupils and their families paraded with their lanterns from the junior school site down, through the new housing development and down to the infant school site. The Infants were awaiting our arrival waving the hand drawn flags I'd created for them. On arrival there was hot chocolate, singing and a lovely speech from the Head teacher. It was a really magical event and I'm very proud of it. Next up I need to design and create the permanent artwork for the development and new Country Park!

GIANT thanks to everyone who made this happen, particularly the school staff and pupils, Wessex Archaeology, Wildlife Drawing, Riverbourne Community Farm, Same Sky and the marvellous Barbara Leatham for her wonderful photography...
















No comments: