Thursday

Casting plants



Hiya, it's a lovely sunny Spring day here - hope it is where you are too!

I'm so excited by all the different projects I've got on the go at the moment. It's challenging, the need to research and learn about so many different materials, and the thought that so much of what I produce now is permanent - huge sculptures and integrated artwork that will probably outlive me!

I just wanted to share some photos of a couple of different material experiments I've been working on in the studio. Creating plaster casts from real plants by pressing them into clay to create a mould and then using pouring plaster of paris into it. The detail that can be captured in wonderful! I'm going to be using using this process on a much larger scale soon (using GRP - glass reinforced plastic instead of plaster) for a HUGE 3m high cast plant sculpture. It's very exciting!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, I'm going to do some screen printing and then visit Kew Gardens to see the snakes head fritillaries, magnolias and blossom trees x

No comments: